Friday, December 25, 2009

Why am I celebrating Christmas Today?

Have I been excited about the holiday season? Definitely yes…Has it been because of Christmas? Perhaps No…Do I celebrate Christmas? No…Do I know why is it celebrated? Perhaps Yes…Have I been turning Santa for a few special ones? Yes…

I have been thinking of these questions for some time now. Why am I celebrating Christmas? Why am I wishing Christmas to few and all, to colleagues, to drivers, to shopkeepers, to my wife and to my parents? Why I like getting snapped up in that little red and white santa cap? Why is my mother preparing the grand six egg cake today? Why do we have little Christmas trees all over the house? Why am I rhyming ‘jingle bells’ to my little niece? In a manner, I am celebrating…I am celebrating the spirit of Christmas. What’s the reason then? Why?

Is it because it’s truly a global festival; celebrated by majority of inhabitants of planet earth and I would like to be a partner in their joy? Perhaps not…Is it because that Indians by nature love chaos, love being boisterous and always search for a reason for celebration; no matter whatever be the occasion? Or is it a phenomenon being experienced only in select cities with higher per capita income? Perhaps…

I pondered and pondered and then celebrated. The reason most likely exists in the idea of India. The idea that binds us all together and wants us to celebrate happy times and share not so happy ones. This idea of a secular society which is expanding to every nook and corner of the world is the reason why I am celebrating Christmas; with the same vigour that I would celebrate Diwali. The idea is paying off. The idea of India that our leaders dreamt off is yielding results and I feel good just like you all.

A free day comes with all its thoughts which I scribbled right away as below:

Just when the little roadside boy needs a sweater,
Just when the impish child turns pale with hunger,
Just when the unreachable school needs a teacher,
Just when the patient needs clean drinking water,
Just when the farmer desires little drops of rain,
Just when small businesses look for making some gain,
Just when a martyrs’ hope of peace remain,
Just when the hatred rules …we need you again,
O Jesus! We need you again.

After reading this, my good old friend Jolly is going to say that ‘He is Everywhere’ and we just need to be true to ourselves. And I agree…
Merry Christmas to you All My Friends

No comments: